Ingurtosu and Gennamari Mines were built for the median part of theMontevecchio vein exploitation, which was richest in blende and galena minerals (zinc and lead).
Ingurtosu and Gennamari once had been the two most important mining areas in the whole island together with Montevecchio mines and Monteponimines.
After a previous period of episodic exploitations and several transfers of property, at the end of 1800 there had been a considerable growth, due to the fact that the English Company Pertusola Limited obtained the mining’s concession and to the discovery of the Brassey vein. This vein was nominated after Lord Thomas Alnuut, Brassey viscount and Pertusola’s President. During this period in Ingurtosu’s area there were nearly 6000 workers and families.
Ingurtosu old mining area is partly located on the Montevecchio Casargiu Mine border, with Ingurtosu Casargiu construction site, and partially along the valley that from the old Ingurtosu village, that was the mining managerial center, crossing the main sites, the Lambert, Turbina andGal shafts, the Pireddu washery and Brassey washery and the Naracauli miners village, leads to the sea and to Piscinas’ beach, which in the past was used as a docking place to transport goods to Carloforte.
Ingurtosu village was the mining managerial centre. Here there were the hospital, schools, St. Barbara’s church and the managing building named Il Castello, where there were the mining offices.